Bethesda Fire Station #6
Bethesda Fire Station #6, Fire & Rescue Station Conditions Assessment Study
WAI provided mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineering consulting services for the conditions assessment study of Bethesda Fire Station #6. The fire station was a two-story building that consisted of: truck bays, service bays, an exercise area, offices, television lounge, dormitories, cooking facilities, washrooms and service rooms. WAI’s survey included: review of the mechanical systems service, packaged Air-Cooled Chiller Units, Fan Coil Units, Air Handling Units, piping and ductwork systems, normal and emergency lighting and power, telephone / data, paging and video surveillance systems, plumbing service, plumbing fixtures, fire alarm and fire protection.
Phase I included:
- Reviewing original/existing drawings, specifications, report and other data available from the owner.
- Interviewing County personnel familiar with the facility operation and maintenance history.
- Performing a comprehensive assessment to document the condition of the following systems and identify/quantify deficiencies, if any:
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning,
- Electrical (including distribution),
- Plumbing, and
- Fire Protection.
- Preparing a final report, documenting all systems evaluated and providing:
- Nameplate information of all systems and their components in place (e.g. capacity, age, specifications, etc.),
- Clear description of system’s condition,
- Clear description of repairs needed, and
- Photographical documentation of all systems and their condition.
Phase II included:
- Providing a Phase 2 Report incorporating:
- Root cause analysis for all deficiencies identified,
- A corrective action plan for all deficiencies identified, providing classification, ranking and prioritization for repairs,
- Cost analysis to implement the corrective action plan depicted as short, medium, and long-term recommendations,
- Detailed asset inventory of all systems and components in place,
- Lifecyle analysis for all systems, detailing remaining useful life, replacement estimate (cost and time),
- Deferred maintenance analysis of all systems,
- Space utilization analysis of current operations and future use,
- Multi-Year Expenditure Plan forecast schedule based on a ten-year span and unconstrained by funding limitations, and
- Calculation of the facility condition index (FCI) and comparison to a similar facility.
- Location: Bethesda, Maryland