Red Brick Courthouse
The Historic Red Brick Courthouse Emergency Chiller Retrofit
WAI is providing mechanical design and construction administration services for the emergency retrofit of the air-cooled chiller at the historical 1800’s circa Red Brick Courthouse. This project is based upon a study and scope development project WAI recently completed.
The scope for the replacement of the air-cooled chiller includes an in-kind replacement with few upgrades to help address the acoustical issues and insulation issues. The replacement air-cooled chiller project consists of the following:
- Procurement and installation of the replacement chiller and circulating pumps,
- Demolition of the existing chiller,
- Temporary cooling,
- One new 70-ton air-cooled chiller,
- New piping insulation for better thermal-efficiency.
- Two vertical inline pumps, rated at 5hp with 1800 rpm and 7.3 impeller diameter for the new air-cooled chiller,
- The new air-cooled chiller contains three scroll compressors wrapped in sound blankets and incorporate sound enclosures on top of it to achieve no greater than 55 dba at the property line.
- Modifications to the exterior chilled water hydronic piping systems,
- A reduced voltage starter is utilized and a disconnect switch and 120-volt GFIC service receptacle are included, and
- Design and integration into the county-wide BAS system.
This project includes supporting electrical and structural engineering services.
- Location: Rockville, MD