Miscellaneous Projects at the Pentagon
WAI’s experience with the Pentagon started in 2001 and continues to this day. WAI provided plumbing design for Wedge II (1.6 million sq. ft.) and the basement of Wedge III for the Pentagon Renovation (a design-build project); which received LEED Gold certification.
WAI completed the feasibility study and DD1391’s for a new 60,000 sq. ft. operations building, a replacement fire station, and an air traffic control tower structure at the Pentagon Reservation. LEED score cards were prepared for each of these new projects, indicating a compliance path for LEED Gold certification. The projects were planned to be constructed under a design-build contract through the Baltimore District of the Army Corps of Engineers. All of these projects involved extensive site utility system evaluation and/or design, including that for: medium voltage power distribution (13.2 and 8 KV), critical power, IT ductbanks, chilled and heating water, sanitary, storm, and domestic water.
WAI also provided MEP design services for two design-build projects under a JOC contract. These projects included renovation of two SCIF office suites and the renovation of the Army Motor Pool Office.
WAI is currently providing MEP design services for Corridor 8 Access Control Point. This project was won via a design-build competition and anticipates LEED Silver.
Features and requirements incorporated into the renovation project or current proposed work:
- LEED Gold or LEED Silver for Most Projects
- Multiple Sustainable Design Features
- Energy Star Equipment
- High-Performance Building Envelope
- Energy Reduction in Excess Of 30%
- Energy Tax Incentives
- Geothermal WSHP Planned for Operations Building
- DOAS For Improved IAQ On the Operations Building
- Heat Recovery on The Operations Building
- Room by Room Heat/AC on Demand
- Active Chilled Beams on the Operations Building
- Water Use Reduction in Excess Of 40%
- Grey Water System on The Operations Building
- On-Site Utility System Design
- Solar Energy – PV Array Considered Via A PPA
- Green Power Purchase
- Advanced Metering
- Premium-Efficiency Motors
- High-Efficiency Lighting
- High-Level of Lighting System Control
- Daylight Harvesting
- Safety & Security Design Features
- Electronic Deliverables (CD/DVD, Cals, PDF, Use Of FTP)
- Location: Arlington, Virginia
- Construction Cost: Varies
- Delivery Method: Design-Build
- Awards: LEED Gold